ABC - A Better Controller
by Ben Young, VE7AJT and Joe Young, VE7BFK
The controller is used to operate an amateur radio transmitter
automatically when it is hidden for amateur radio direction finding
games. Typically, a game includes 5 such transmitters which take turns
transmitting on a single frequency. For a more
detailed description, see about ARDF.
The transmitter controller grew out of a desire to overcome various
shortcomings in existing devices which lacked one or more of the following
- Accurate timing, durations independent of message text.
- Simple controls when used in field (No computer or keyboards).
- Complete setup in advance with only a terminal or terminal program.
- Simple, low-power, available, and easily programmed microcomputer circuit.
- Accommodate several typical radio interfaces.
This project is fully described and reproducible from the following materials:
- View assembly (19K, .jpg)
- Download complete
article, manual, and diagrams, WORD format (58K, .zip)
- Download S-record file for 68HC711E9 (14K, .zip)
- Download schematic alone in TIFF(27K, .zip)