Archives - Libraries - Museums
There are 119 links in this section.
- Alberta Digital Archives Includes bible records, cemeteries, census, church records, correspondence, deeds, local histories and directories.
- Archives Society of Alberta Society information and a searchable database of over 5000 fonds-level and collection-level descriptions of records held in Alberta's archival institutions.
- Genealogy Resources at Calgary Public Library The collection focuses on Canadian materials with an emphasis on Alberta, Ontario and the Maritimes.
- Glenbow Museum and Archives This centre of history and art contains many interesting archival resources.
- Museums Alberta Promoting understanding, access and excellence. Includes a Directory of Alberta's Museums and Galleries.
- Provincial Archives of Alberta Records of the Government of Alberta including many genealogical sources. Also private records of individuals and organizations.
- Royal Alberta Museum Focusing on the human and natural history of Alberta and western Canada. Information on the human history programs (folklife, western Canadian history, government history, archaeology, and ethnology), plus exhibits, galleries, and special events.
- University of Calgary Library Genealogy Resources Local histories, United Empire Loyalists, American Civil War, Germans from Russia, Mennonites and military history. Special collections include Alberta and prairie local histories and early exploration accounts.
- Western Canadian History Collections include artifacts relating to women's history, childhood studies, the province's primary and secondary industries, trades and professions, and fine and decorative arts.
- Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies Archival and published resources created in or pertaining to the region bounded by the 49th parallel, Peace River, Front Ranges and Columbia Mountains. Predominant dates are 1880s to 1980s.
- Maritime Museum of the Atlantic Specializing in marine history of Atlantic Canada. Information and links on the location of the Museum, admission prices and hours of operation, history of the Museum, information on the collection, exhibits, etc.
- Archives Association of British Columbia The AABC provides information on the many programs and services offered to archivists and archives in British Columbia.
- BC Archives Browse the overview of textual records, and the finding aid databases, or search the catalogue which includes indexes birth, marriage and death registrations.
- BC Museums Association This page is the index to all of the museums, art galleries, historic sites, cultural and science centres in BC known to the BCMA.
- British Columbia Archival Union List A database of fonds and collection level descriptions of records held at 156 publicly-accessible archival repositories in the province. Searchable.
- Campbell River Museum The museum holds a collection of permanent exhibits that represent the unique culture and history of northern Vancouver Island.
- City of Richmond Archives Search the archives holdings, browse other research tools, visit the virtual exhibit.
- City of Vancouver Archives Holdings include City of Vancouver government records, records of non-government organizations, businesses and individuals, historic photographs, maps, etc. Search the entire database.
- City of Victoria Archives Responsible for acquiring, preserving and making accessible archival material documenting the history of Victoria. Includes Vital Statistics search for Ross Bay Cemetery records, death and marriages notices indexes.
- Cumberland Museum and Archives Information on the museum and archives in this historic coal mining center.
- Doukhobor Collection, University of British Columbia The collection includes printed and manuscript material relating to Doukhobor life in Canada and the Soviet Union.
- Esquimalt Municipal Archives Local government records, graphic records, manuscripts and library collections.
- Guide to Archival Repositories in British Columbia Entries for 173 archives in the province and includes the name and location of each repository, contact information, and a brief description of the extent, nature and scope of holdings at each institution.
- Journeys & Transformations: British Columbia Landscapes Nature, First Peoples and History of British Columbia are interconnected themes throughout the site, presented in pictures, records and information from the museum's collections.
- Kootenay Lake Archives Holds material pertaining to the history of Kaslo and surrounding area; the City of Kaslo records (1893-1958); Kootenay Lake Sternwheelers; and the archives of the Langham Japanese Canadian Project.
- Langley Centennial Museum owned and operated by the Township of Langley, its collections date back to the 1920's. A collection of over 1,200 archival photographs, 8,500 objects, and 500 works of art are searchable online.
- Legislative Library Search the collection which consists of political science, parliamentary procedure, law, public administration, economics and Canadian history.
- Metchosin School Museum Metchosin's history, from shipwrecks to schooldays.
- New Westminster Public Library - Genealogy and local history Genealogy and local history resources at the New Westminster Public Library.
- Saanich Historical Artifacts Society A Volunteer Society devoted to the collection and preservation of memorabilia from their pioneer past.
- Sidney Museum The history of Sidney and pioneer families.
- Simon Fraser University Archives Information on the university archives, and freedom of information and protection of privacy.
- Surrey Public Library Online guide to this library's extensive collection of Canadian genealogical materials. Includes detailed information on current book and microform holdings.
- UBC Special Collections and Archives University of British Columbia archival holdings, records management, and listings of many other archival resources on the Internet.
- University of Northern British Columbia Library Searchable web Interface to the online catalogue.
- UVic Library Gateway Search the Online Catalogue of the McPherson Library and Curriculum Lab.
- Vancouver Maritime Museum A list of exhibits displayed at this museum which is the Greater Vancouver region's link to maritime history, art, culture and technology.
- Vancouver Public Library, Central Branch, Special Collections Northwest History Collections, Vancouver Building Register, Historical Photographs, Indexes and Finding Aids.
- Association for Manitoba Archives About the AMA, membership, directory, archival resources, publications and a searchable index of selected articles published in the AMA's newsletter.
- Boissevain Community Archives Established in 1976 for the purpose of preserving the history of the Town of Boissevain and the surrounding community.
- Manitoba Legislative Library Information on the libraries extensive newspaper collection, biography scrapbooks and reference collection.
- Provincial Archives of Manitoba Includes general information on the Provincial Archives and the Hudson's Bay Company Archives.
- University of Manitoba Archives The Department of Archives and Special Collections, The University of Manitoba Libraries. Information on collections including a searchable guide to holdings.
- Archives Canada The main purpose of Archives Canada is to make easily available to all canadians the information that is held in archival institutions across Canada.
- Canada Aviation Museum Information on this museums hours and library. Online photo archives of Canadian planes in the museum.
- Canadian Archival Information Network CAIN is a searchable network of information about Canadian archives, with descriptions of archival documents found in repositories across the country.
- Canadian Council of Archives Publications and reports, Canadian archival information, links to other National and Provincial associations.
- Canadian Institute for Historical Microreproductions The CIHM locates early printed Canadian materials (books, annuals, and periodicals), preserves their content on microfilm, and makes the resulting collections available to libraries and archives in Canada and abroad. Searchable.
- Canadian Library Index This is an index of Canadian Library home pages and connections to telnet or web based OPACS. Arranged by province.
- Canadian Museum of Civilization Brief histories of the Norse, the North Atlantic crossings, early Acadia, the fur trade, arriving in Upper Canada, etc.
- Canadian Museum of Flight Aviation history, art gallery, about the Museum and aviation links.
- Hudson's Bay Company - Digital Collections In 1994, the Hudson's Bay Company announced the donations of its museum collection to the Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature and its corporate archival records to the Provincial Archives of Manitoba. Much of this collection can now be viewed online.
- Hudson's Bay Company Archives The HBCA offers a wealth of information on the human and natural history of western and northern Canada and the western USA.
- Japanese Canadian Museum Established to collect, preserve, study, exhibit, and interpret historical artifacts and archival material covering the history of Japanese Canadian Society from the 1870's to the present day.
- Librarians Helping Canadian Genealogists Climb Family Trees A collaborative space for Librarians who assist family historians with their Canadian genealogical research.
- National Archives of Canada Preserving the memory of this great nation.
- National Library of Canada Information on the NLoC, links to Canadian libraries, directory of Canadian university data libraries and archives.
- United Church Archives Preserves the historical records of The United Church of Canada and its antecedent denominations. These priceless records document the proud heritage of the Church and the University, and their significant contributions to Canadian society.
- Virtual Museum of Canada Includes images of Canada's past - art, toys, transportation, industry, clothing and war.
- Acadian Museum - University of Moncton Acadian historical and cultural museum on the University of Moncton campus.
- Genealogical and Historical Resources - Harriet Irving Library Guides, Books, Biographical Dictionaries, Periodicals, Newspapers, Census Returns, Finding Aids, and Historical Collections.
- Keillor House - 1813 Archival holdings containing census, marriage. cemetery records as well as family genealogy.
- Provincial Archives of New Brunswick Vital statistics finding aid, birth registers, marriages, death certificates, guide to family histories.
- St. Michael's Museum Association and Genealogical Centre List of records and services, family files, Miramichi names and Irish Communities.
- Beaton Institute for Cape Breton Studies Mandated to collect and conserve the social, economic, political, and cultural history of Cape Breton Island. Housed in the collection are manuscripts, photographs, audio and video tapes, maps, newspapers, and books.
- MacDonald House Museum A museum dedicated to the settlers of Lake Ainslie, Nova Scotia. We have an 1850's home, 1930's barn and school.
- Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management Information on using the Archives, getting started in your genealogical research, online searchable finding aids, virtual exhibit.
- Nova Scotia Museum Historical and natural science content, Museum policies, complete directory of museums and heritage societies in Nova Scotia. Over 2000 pages.
- Nova Scotia Regional Libraries Information on, and links to many of the Regional Libraries in NS.
- Parkdale Maplewood Community Museum Museum Collection, museum gardens, special features, coming events, newsletter.
- Queens County Museum The Queens Co. and Simeon Perkins Museums and the Thomas H. Raddall Research Centre.
- Yarmouth County Historical Society List of resources available in the archives, and sample images from the Archives' extensive photograph collection.
- ARCHEION, Ontario Archival Information Network A research tool providing access to over 4000 descriptions of archival records held by over 40 archives in Ontario, members of the Archives Association of Ontario.
- Archives of Ontario Amazing facts and figures, Genealogy research at the Archives of Ontario, Aboriginal peoples in the archives.
- Arnprior & District Archives Collections include town and township records, business documents, museum material, genealogical collections, photographs and maps.
- Brampton Library Local History Collection A closed collection, housed at Chinguacousy Resource Branch, the Brampton Library Local History Collection focuses on the history of the City of Brampton and the former Townships of Chinguacousy and Toronto Gore.
- Buxton Historic Site & Museum A Black Historical Site, formerly named the Raleigh Township Centennial Museum, located in the village of North Buxton, Ontario. Original site of the Elgin Settlement, which was for many, the last stop on the underground railroad.
- Dufferin County Museum & Archives The Museum features a collection of artifacts and archives ranging from a vast tool collection to local photographs.
- Essex and Community Historical Research Society Located in the Town of Essex we focus on Essex County genealogy, heritage and history. We have our resource centre catalogue online and searchable as well as a catalogue of Essex County Cemetery Headstone photos.
- Halinet, The Public Libraries of Halton With access to local historical indexes of census records, birth, marriage and death records, land records, surrogate court records, and business directories.
- Heritage Renfrew & Renfrew Archives Heritage Renfrew which sponsors Renfrew Archives is a non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to preserving, enhancing, recognizing and sharing the history and culture of Renfrew and area.
- Kingsville Historical Park Kingsville Historical Park is the home of the Charlie Campbell Military Museum located in Kingsville, Ontario. We focus on the military history of the residents of Essex County from 1861 to the present.
- Lake of the Woods Museum Located in Kenora, Ontario, this museum exists to collect and preserve any material which may help to establish or illustrate the history of Kenora (originally called Rat Portage), Keewatin and Lake of the Woods.
- Lanark County Archives and the Lanark County Genealogical Society History Comes Alive at the Archives . . .
Lanark County Archives, operated by volunteers of Lanark County Genealogical Society, is accessible to the general public for all genealogical and historical documents pertaining to Lanark County Ontario.
- Macaulay Heritage Park See displays of the county's rich history at the Prince Edward County Museum. Experience the feeling of mid 19th-century life at Macaulay House. Explore historic gardens and tour old St. Mary Magdalene cemetery.
- Mennonite Archives of Ontario Describes the collections held in the Mennonite Archives of Ontario in Waterloo, Ontario. Includes some finding aids.
- Mississauga Library System One of the largest public libraries in Canada. It contains the Ruth Konrad Local History Collection of Canadiana, the main emphasis of which is the history of Mississauga and the region of Peel.
- Niagara Historical Resource Centre Information on the finding aids they have available.
- Norfolk Historical Society The Eva Brook Donly Museum & Archives is home to an outstanding artifact collection, hundreds of family histories, thousands of photographs, indexed Vital Stats and much more reflecting Norfolk County's rich past. A genealogist's treasure tr
- North Bay Area Museum The Museum features a wide range of exhibits on local history.
- North York Library - Canadiana Collection A retrospective collection of closed reference materials on the historical and cultural development of Canada. Emphasis is on North York history, local history and genealogy.
- Ontario Museum Association Directory of Ontario Museums, links to museum related sites.
- Ottawa Public Library An overview resources, telnet to the catalogue, and interesting links.
- Oxford County Library Includes branch information, online databases, anf genealogical information.
- Peterborough Centennial Museum & Archives Search the holdings of the Peterborough Archives, find out how the Archives can serve your research needs, learn more about the Roy Studio photographic collection and much more.
- Region of Peel Archives Includes both municipal and private records for Region of Peel (City of Mississauga, City of Brampton, Town of Caledon) ROP Archives part of Peel Heritage Complex, which also includes ROP Museum, and Art Gallery of Peel.
- Toronto Reference Library The special collections, genealogy & maps centre provides access to the library's rare and specialized research collections.
- Uxbridge-Scott Museum The Uxbridge-Scott Museum has included an archives for local genealogy and history since it began in 1972. Assistance is available to those who may not be familiar with local history and records.
- Windsor Public Library Digital exhibits include The War of 1812 in the Western District, Pelee Island and Middle Island, Historic Sites of Walkerville, The Fleetway and The Macdonald Papers.
Prince Edward Island
- PEI Archives Public Archives and Records Office, genealogical research (includes census records , births, marriages, deaths , land records), and tracing your family history.
- Provincial Library Catalogue Search the collections located in any public library on Prince Edward Island.
- Research Guide for Genealogy Material to help guide you in getting started in genealogical research, finding Prince Edward Island primary and secondary sources available at Robertson Library of UPEI, and as a guide to useful subject areas in the P.E.I. Collection catalogue.
- Robertson Library, UPEI Search the Robertson Library Web Pages, Library Gopher, Access to the on-line catalog with telnet, and Map, PEI and Special Collections.
- Archives Nationales du Quebec Information on their holdings, addresses of regional centres, etc. French Only.
- McCord Museum Searchable collection of historical photographs, for the purpose of increasing awareness of the social history and material culture of Canada, Quebec and Montreal, from the 18th century to the present.
- City of Saskatoon Archives This website contains virtual exhibits, historical reference material, mayoral biographies, maps, as well as lists of holdings and link to other sources of information including historical bylaws, committee records and Council Minutes.
- Royal Saskatchewan Museum This site contains information on our galleries, science departments, public programs and much more.
- Saskatchewan Archives Board Responsible for acquiring, preserving and making accessible documentary records bearing on all aspects of the history of Saskatchewan, and facilitating the management of the records of government institutions.
- Saskatchewan Council of Archives Encouraging the development of a cooperative archival system within Saskatchewan.
- Saskatchewan Western Development Museum The museum of social and economic history for the Province of Saskatchewan.
- Saskatchewan's Province Wide Library Electronic Information System Search the province's library catalogues (using Telnet) and link to other library web sites in Saskatchewan.
- Ukrainian Museum of Canada Founded in 1936, it was established as Canada's first Ukrainian museum and serves as a centre dedicated to the advancement of knowledge and preservation of Ukrainian Heritage in Canada.
- Yukon Archives Responsible for acquiring, preserving and making available documentary sources related to Yukon history, cultures and development.
- Yukon Council of Archives Executive, constitution, newsletter, and education information.