There are 350 links in this section.
Archives - Libraries - Museums
- Archives Canada The main purpose of Archives Canada is to make easily available to all canadians the information that is held in archival institutions across Canada.
- Canada Aviation Museum Information on this museums hours and library. Online photo archives of Canadian planes in the museum.
- Canadian Archival Information Network CAIN is a searchable network of information about Canadian archives, with descriptions of archival documents found in repositories across the country.
- Canadian Council of Archives Publications and reports, Canadian archival information, links to other National and Provincial associations.
- Canadian Institute for Historical Microreproductions The CIHM locates early printed Canadian materials (books, annuals, and periodicals), preserves their content on microfilm, and makes the resulting collections available to libraries and archives in Canada and abroad. Searchable.
- Canadian Library Index This is an index of Canadian Library home pages and connections to telnet or web based OPACS. Arranged by province.
- Canadian Museum of Civilization Brief histories of the Norse, the North Atlantic crossings, early Acadia, the fur trade, arriving in Upper Canada, etc.
- Canadian Museum of Flight Aviation history, art gallery, about the Museum and aviation links.
- Hudson's Bay Company - Digital Collections In 1994, the Hudson's Bay Company announced the donations of its museum collection to the Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature and its corporate archival records to the Provincial Archives of Manitoba. Much of this collection can now be viewed online.
- Hudson's Bay Company Archives The HBCA offers a wealth of information on the human and natural history of western and northern Canada and the western USA.
- Japanese Canadian Museum Established to collect, preserve, study, exhibit, and interpret historical artifacts and archival material covering the history of Japanese Canadian Society from the 1870's to the present day.
- Librarians Helping Canadian Genealogists Climb Family Trees A collaborative space for Librarians who assist family historians with their Canadian genealogical research.
- National Archives of Canada Preserving the memory of this great nation.
- National Library of Canada Information on the NLoC, links to Canadian libraries, directory of Canadian university data libraries and archives.
- United Church Archives Preserves the historical records of The United Church of Canada and its antecedent denominations. These priceless records document the proud heritage of the Church and the University, and their significant contributions to Canadian society.
- Virtual Museum of Canada Includes images of Canada's past - art, toys, transportation, industry, clothing and war.
Birth, Marriage, Death
- Canada Births Deaths & Marriages Exchange A free resource for sharing information about details contained on certificates registered in Canada.
- Canadian Vital Records Addresses and holdings for Canadian vital records, listed by province.
- Genealogy Search Canada A genealogy reference site and search engine. No registration required. Learn more about your family's heritage with a free online search. Search on over 30 million Canadian records for your ancestors. Browse through images of records.
- Obituary Depot - Canada Directory of Canadian obituaries.
Cemetery - Obituary
- 1901 Census - Doukhobor Village Index This online index provides census details for each Doukhobor village enumerated in the 1901 Canada Census. Researchers can use this index to identify and locate Doukhobor villages in the original census schedule.
- 1901 Census of Canada Microfilms Includes the National Archives of Canada and LDS film numbers. All Provinces and Territories. Prefaced by a description of the information included in the census.
- Canadian Families A collaborative research project by 11 scholars in 5 Canadian universities studying families in Canada, and compiling a national sample of the 1901 Census of Canada.
- Census Finder - Canada Census Records A comprehensive directory of Canadian census links along with many genealogy resources. Categorized by province, districts and counties, this useful tool will help you locate Canadian census records online.
- Census Links - Canada Links to web sites containing Canadian census information.
- Census of Canada, 1901 National Archives database which allows you to search by geographic location. As these are copies of the original records, they are not searchable by family name.
- Census of the Northwest Provinces, 1906 1906 online census for Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta from the National Archives.
- http://www.doukhobor.org/census.html This index describes various Doukhobor census records in Canada - their historical
background, dates, content, usefulness and reliability, availability and published indexes.
- Index to the 1901 Census of Canada A volunteer driven online indexing project.
- The 1852 and 1881 Historical Censuses of Canada A 20% sample of the 1852 Canadian Census and a free data browser which allows users to search for specific individuals or groups of people within the 1881 complete database.
- A Scattering of Seeds: The Creation of Canada The companion Web site to the 13 part television series exploring the history and stories behind thirteen family immigration sagas.
- British Home Children Canada's Invisible Immigrants 100,000 British Home Children. A list of individual British Home Children created to help researchers find their BHC relatives.
- Emigration from Iceland to North America The Emigration from Iceland to America (Canada and US), is a tribute to all the people from Iceland who had for known or unknown reasons to search for a new life in a new country.
- Emigration Info - Ships They Came On Lists of ships sailing to Canada, the ports, and the people. Many of these lists give the name of the ship, Master, Port of Departure, Port of Arrival and other such information. Some list the organization which sponsored the emigrants.
- German and Canadian Settlements How Germany came to Canada. Immigration time line.
- Germany-Canada Migration Highlighting selected aspects on the theme of German migration to Canada, beginning with the first wave, 1750 - 1752.
- Home Children and Juvenile Immigrants When the topic of child immigrants to Canada is raised many people first think of Barnardo's and the Roman Catholic organizations. This site explores all of the organizations which brought children to Canada between 1833 and 1935.
- Immigration Records (1925-1935) The names of immigrants arriving from overseas are recorded in passenger lists. Those arriving from or via the United States are recorded in border entry lists. A series of old nominal indexes exist for the 1925 to 1935 records.
- inGeneas Canadian Genealogical Research and Searchable Databases Searchable databases include passenger list, Immigration database and the Canada miscellaneous immigration list. Providing almost 40,000 records spanning from 1748 to 1881.
- The Canadian West The intent of this exhibit is to give a general impression of the nature, variety, and vastness of the records pertaining to the settlement process that relate to western Canada, and in doing so, show how these records might be used by researchers.
- The Highland Clearances Concentrating on first-hand accounts it tells the stories of where people came from and the places to which they went (with a strong Canadian content). Photographs, articles, statistics, people and passenger searches, maps and much more.
- The Last Best West This virtual exhibition displays the Canadian governments role in advertising free land in The Last Best West to farmers and farm workers in Britain, the United States and Europe.
- The Peopling of Canada - 1891-1921 Examines the movement of people into Canada and between regions during one of Canada's most important migration periods, 1891-1921.
- The Peopling of Canada: 1946-1976 An important phase in the history of the peopling of Canada. Both public opinion and official policy swayed the development of immigration policies.
- Zichydorf Village Association - Canadian Surname Index A Banat (Germanic) Online Village Association. Canadian information includes a Brief History of Zichydorf Colony, Canadian Surname Index, 1901 Census of Springdale District, Canada and a Brief History of this Canadian Colony.
- Arctic Dawn, The Journeys of Samuel Hearne Diary of a Journey from Prince of Wales's Fort in Hudson's Bay to the Northern Ocean undertaken by order of the Hudson's Bay Company for the Discovery of Copper Mines, a North West Passage, etc., in the Years 1769, 1770, 1771, and 1772.
- Life and times of Henry Hudson, explorer and adventurer This is a collection of data about, and a chronology of the life and voyages of English explorer, mariner and adventurer, Henry Hudson, as well as some additional notes on his times, contemporaries and his crew.
- Northwest Journal Information for Canadian fur trade era re-enactors, historic site interpreters, and educators.
- Our Heritage Following historic trails across Canada and tying in other global explorations of these early explorers. Includes an index of Southwestern Alberta obituaries 1885 - 1959 and 1970 - 1984.
- Passages: A Treasure Trove of North American Exploration First-hand accounts of some of the events marking the gradual exploration of the North American continent.
- The Explorers From Cartier, 1534-1536 to La VÃ©rendrye, 1732-1739.
- Adoptee Searcher's Handbook A resource site for searchers.
- British Home Children Society The primary goal of the British Home Children Society is to develop a comprehensive database of +50,000 individual British Home Children records called the British Home Children Registry. +3,000 descendants have claimed their ancestors.
- Canada's Orange Roots At the turn of the 20th century it was estimated that one in three Protestant males was a member of an Orange Lodge in Canada.
- Canadian Genealogical Projects Registry If you are contemplating beginning a genealogical project, check this page first to ensure someone else hasn't already started it. Use this site to find out which extraction/transcription projects are planned, underway, or have been completed.
- Canadian Genealogy Tons of great information on Canadian Genealogy and History. Learn about your ancestors today!
- Canadian Genealogy Centre Intends to provide single-window access to authoritative content, such as indexes, guides and images, in many formats from many sources, and access to learning tools to allow new researchers to learn how to explore genealogy.
- Canadian Information and Facts Political, geographical and historical.
- Canadian Orphanages Listing of orphanages in Canada.
- Canadian Studies: A Guide to the Sources A essay on Canada.
- Canadiana Quick Reference Provides answers to some of the quick reference questions that the National Library of Canada receives regularly. Includes general Canadiana, Canadian history, music, literature, publishing and librarianship.
- CBC Archives Relive our history through CBC Radio and Television.
- Culture Canada Government of Canada Guide to Canadian Culture, Heritage and Recreation
- Directory of Grand Orange Lodge of British America, 1891 Listing of officers and masters as appeared in the Annual Report of the Grand Orange Lodge of British America for 1891
- For Posterity's Sake Genealogy General Canadian Genealogy site with obituaries, Naval History, Genealogy links and a personal research section.
- Francophonies canadiennes: Identites culturelles Ontario, Acadie, Ouest-Nord-Ouest et Quebec. Genese et evolution de la francophonie canadienne du 16e siecle a nos jours. Multimedia : documents, images, videos, audios, entrevues, etudes, bibliographie, liens vers d''autres sites, exercices pedagogiques.
- Genealogy Canada A blog which offers news, and information on Canadian genealogy.
- Great Canucks A fan site covering the CBC's Greatest Canadian mini-series, asks the question: Who do you think is the Greatest?
- Heritage Partnership Dedicated to those interested in built heritage including homeowners, guardians of historic properties, contractors, educators, government representatives and trades people.
- Historical Statistics of Canada Contains a wide range of economic, social and political data for the period from Confederation to the mid-1970s.
- Images Canada Central search access to the over 65,000 images held on the websites of participating Canadian cultural institutions. Through Images Canada, you can find images of the Canadian events, people, places and things that collectively are our heritage.
- Oh Canada This website provides access to information on the Internet which defines and exposes Canada and Canadians. This is an attempt to define our multicultural fabric, our history, our symbols and our values.
- Orange Roots and Heritage in Canada At the turn of the 20th century it was estimated that one in three Protestant males was a member of an Orange Lodge in Canada.
- Research Outline - Canada Describes the content, use, and availability of major regional and nationwide genealogical records. Use this and outlines of the provinces to set research goals and to select the records that will help you achieve them.
- Sheet Music from Canada's Past A source of sheet music published in Canada before 1921, selected from the National Library of Canada's historical collection. Includes pre-confederation era and First World War era music.
- Teaching and Learning about Canada Information and links dealing with Canadian geography, history, politics, society, culture and much more.
- The Olive Tree Historical and genealogical information on Ontario, Niagara area Loyalists, Palatines, Mennonites, Huguenots & Walloons, Mohawk Nation and more. It also has Ships' Passenger Lists and Canadian Muster Rolls from the American Revolution and War of 1812.
- Canada GenWeb The main page of the Canada GenWeb project, contains links to, and information about the provincial projects.
- CanadaGenWeb for Kids This is a site for children 18 and under interested in Family History. Add queries, ask questions about Canada. Adults can answer queries or help a child place a query.
- An Overview of Cartography Maps from the sixteenth to the eighteenth century. Champlain's, Delisle's and Sanson's maps of New France, Coronelli's Map of the Great Lakes, Maps of Western Canada, Montreal, Quebec City and Louisbourg.
- ArchiviaNet: Maps, Plans and Charts access to approximately 40,000 item-level descriptions from the "old map card catalogue." About 4,000 items from the catalogue, now in the public domain, have been digitized and may be consulted online. This number will increase on a regular basis.
- Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives ACMLA actively serves as the representative professional group for Canadian map librarians, cartographic archivists and others interested in geographic information in all formats.
- Atlas of Canada Map Archives Consists of 943 maps of the previously printed 1st edition of the Atlas published in 1906, the 2nd edition in 1915, the 3rd edition in 1957, the 4th edition in 1974 and finally, the 5th edition published 1995.
- Atlas of Canada--Origins of the People, 1901 Maps of Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario.
- Canada at Scale: Maps of our History The maps in this exhibition reflect the evolution of cartography in our country. Includes maps of various provinces and regions from the 1700's and 1800's.
- Canadian Panoramic Maps Views of selected Canadian cities, mostly from the mid 1800's.
- David Rumsey Collection Focuses on 18th and 19th century North and South American cartographic materials. The collection includes atlases, globes, school geographies, maritime charts and manuscript maps.
- Doukhobor Place Names This powerful new database contains over 400 Doukhobor place names in Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Canada and the United States. Search by name, type, alphabetically or geographically.
- Geographical Names of Canada Conduct an interactive search of over 500,000 geographical names in Canada. Very handy.
- Historical Atlas of Canada - Online Learning Project Maps, graphs and text based on the highly acclaimed and successful Historical Atlas of Canada, redesigned for online, interactive viewing.
- Historical Maps of Canada Maps available for purchase and online viewing.
- Mapping Canada Displays maps of Canada and informative text pertaining to specific time periods.
- National Atlas of Canada Information on products available in digital and conventional form, including base maps, geographical names and thematic maps that reflect the social, economic, environmental and cultural fabric of Canada.
- The Barren Lands J.B. Tyrrell's Expeditions for the Geological Survey of Canada, 1892-1894. Includes over 5,000 images from original field notebooks, correspondence, photographs, maps and published reports.
- The Canadian Communities Atlas The Canadian Communities Atlas offers a unique national network of geographic information by providing schools the opportunity to create an Internet-based Atlas of their community.
- The Mapmakers: An Essay in Four Parts Mapmaking, beginning in the 16th century.
- The Pugsley Collection of Early Canadian Maps In 1971-72 Dr. William Howard Pugsley, a McGill alumnus, donated a collection of 50 early Canadian maps, dating from 1556 to 1857, to the McGill University Libraries. This set of maps tells the story of the discovery and exploration of North America.
- 1866 History of Canada PDF transcription of an 1866 edition of J. George Hodgins' "A History of Canada, and of the Other British Provinces in North America".
- Bank of Canada Currency Museum Explore the evolution of money around the world and through the ages at the Currency Museum of the Bank of Canada.
- Canada Channel Canada's largest inventory of Canadian Social Studies resources on the Internet. CanTest eLibrary, CanPix Images.
- Canada History Canadian history timeline, details on historical events and people, historical maps.
- Canada's Digital Collections Subjects include First Peoples, government, history and social studies.
- Canada: A People's History The twelve-thousand year trek from pre-history to Canada's recent past is being televised over two years.
- CanadaÂ?s Constitutional Evolution The constitutional evolution of Canada now spans over four centuries. Through texts and symbols, French, British and Canadian governments and the First Nations have left their mark on the history of this country.
- Canadian Confederation The territorial evolution of Canada, path to confederation, raids and skirmishes, historical documents, Canadian confederation bibliography.
- Canadian Constitutional Documents Documents that have to do with the development of Canada's constitution, as well as that of the country.
- Canadian History - About.com Articles, discussions, links to related sites.
- Canadian History Time Line An informative time line containing information from prehistory to present.
- Canadian Information Pages Information from the discovery of Canada to postwar developments.
- Canadian Journal of History A Canadian journal of non-Canadian history. Information about the CJH and abstracts of articles.
- Canadian Mining Facts Key facts and figures on the Canadian Mining Industry with a break-down by province.
- Canadian Musical Instrument Heritage Tracking the history of Canadian made Musical Instruments, those who played them and those who built them.
- Canadian Passport History The development of the Canadian passport from its beginnings to the present day.
- Canadian Petroleum Interpretive Centre Uncover the history of the Canadian Petroleum Industry at the national historic site of the 1947, Leduc #1 discovery well. Archives and library, murals, film, photos, scale models, indoor and outdoor exhibits, educational experiences for all ages.
- Charter of the Hudson's Bay Company, 1670 The Royal Charter for incorporating The Hudson's Bay Company, A.D. 1670.
- Chronology of Events in the History of Canadian Coins Circulating and collector coins of the Province of Canada (1841-1867), the Dominion of Canada (1867-present), and pre-confederation coins and tokens (Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.).
- Cultivating Canadian Gardens A History of gardening in Canada.
- Department of Foreign Affairs History For more than a century, diplomacy has played an important role in shaping Canada's relations with the world. Take a moment to explore our past and share a history rich in tradition and accomplishment.
- Dictionary of Events, Places, People and Times in Canadian History Arranged alphabatically.
- Digital Library of Canada - History Links to Canadian history sites on the National Library of Canada webserver.
- Discovering Canada's Geoscience Heritage Capture the spirit of adventure and travel back with us through text and images to discover the rich scientific heritage of our nation.
- Early Canadiana Online A project to provide enhanced access to Canada's published heritage. A full text online collection of more than 3,000 books and pamphlets documenting Canadian history from the first European contact to the late 19th century.
- Flags of Canada This book about the flags of Canada is being posted on the Web. The textual material is being made available first. Over a hundred illustrations will be added slowly.
- France in America The history of the French presence in North America from the first decades of the 16th century to the end of the 19th century.
- George MacDonald: 1881-1955 A pioneer of the Canadian Press: half a century of news.
- Graduate Students' Committee of the Canadian Historical Association Mandated to gather and disseminate information of interest to graduate students studying history in Canada.
- Heroes of Lore and Yore Canadian Heroes in Fact and Fiction. Profiles 23 famous Canadians.
- Heroines.ca A Guide to Women in Canadian History
- Historica Canadian foundation with the mission of providing Canadians with a deeper understanding of their history and its importance in shaping their future.
- History Television Online An entertaining and interesting way for Canadians to find out about the people, trends, and events that shaped their world. Today in History, search the Ultimate History Archive, Fun and Games section, discussion groups, Program Schedule.
- Humanities and Social Sciences Federation of Canada Humanities Resources by discipline and links to other humanities resources.
- Important Moments in Canadian History From prehistoric to present.
- National Historic Sites - Parks Canada Alphabetical listing of historical sites and heritage places.
- North: Landscape of the Imagination The National Library has drawn on its collection of books, magazines, manuscripts and music to reveal the North of the artist. The collection contains a rich legacy of publications related to the North.
- On This Day A daily outline of events in Canadian history with images, URLs and a quote of the day.
- Our Roots - Local Histories Online A comprehensive, coast-to-coast record of Canadian local histories.
- Snippets of Canadian History Little known Canadian History facts.
- The Canadian Fur Trade World of David Thompson The purpose of this website is to promote David Thompson and all things related to him including aboriginal impacts, new discoveries, life at the forts, and Thompson's treks through the mountain passes.
- The McGill Institute for the Study of Canada Promoting a better understanding of Canada through the study of our heritage.
- Tracing the History of New France Displays documents which paint a picture of the New France era. Also includes access to the Colonial Archives database, providing descriptions of thousands of documents representing this fascinating period in Canadian history.
- Ukrainian Internments Internment of Ukrainian Canadians in Labour Camps 1914-1920.
- University of Calgary - Department of History On-line multimedia history tutorials, links to historical resources at the University of Calgary, links to history sites on the World Wide Web, and how to evaluate and cite materials from the World Wide Web.
- World History Archives: History of Canada Documents for Canadian labor, Economy and environment, Society, Politics, Quebec separatism, and Culture.
- Western Land Grants Searchable database which relates to Letters Patent issued by the Lands Patent Branch of the Department of the Interior. The records refer to grants issued in MB, SK, AB and the railway belt of BC, c. 1870-1930.
- Academic Info : Canadian Studies An annotated directory of Internet resources on Canadian Studies.
- Canada's Schoolnet Bringing educators and students together to share educational resources, enhance learning, develop information technology skills, and encourage the use of technology in the classroom. Has links to Humanities-History.
- Repositories of Primary Sources A listing of over 3400 websites describing holdings of manuscripts, archives, rare books, historical photographs, and other primary sources for the research scholar.
- Roots-L Canadian Resources Listings of files for Canadian researchers available in the Roots-L archives.
- Brief History of Canadian Lighthouses The 1700's, early 19th century, the Imperial Lights: 1857-60, latter 19th century, Colonel Anderson's Tenure: 1900-14, bibliography and links to an amazing number of lighthouse sites.
- Canadian Coast Guard History Lighthouses in Canada, a brief history of the Canadian Coast Guard, the history of CCG icebreakers, vessels of the CCG 1850 - 1967.
- Fishing - It was a way of life Tributes & Plaques throughout Nova Scotia concerning seafaring. Listings of NS, NB, NF, PEI and Quebec fishermen and mariners lost. Newspaper and book articles or extracts. Seafaring Lore.
- Marine Museum of the Great Lakes Features Canadian Maritime Heritage Maritime Heritage Links, and searchable databases of the Canadian Steamship Lines Fleet, the Wallace list of over 3,000 Canadian sailing ships, the Mills list of over 6,000 steamships from 1817 - 1930.
- Northern Maritime Research's - Northern Shipwrecks Database Information about the Northern Shipwrecks Database CD containing more than 64,000 records.
- 41st Regiment of Foot Includes a list of men who applied to settle in Canada after the War of 1812 who served with the 41st Regiment of Foot.
- 54th Kootenay Battalion, 1915 - 1919, WW1 Story of the Canadian 54th Battalion in France and Belgium in World War One.
- Aces of Canada Part of a much larger site, this section lists 187 Canadian WWI pilots granted the designation of "Ace". Includes biographical information, medals, victories, etc.
- Air Defence Museum Includes virtual tours, a discussion group and a complete description of all exhibitions. Also contains information pertaining to this organization dedicated to the history of the Canadian Air Force.
- Air Force Honours & Awards A compilation equivalent to 5,000 pages of published information, of awards to RCAF personnel for the period of pre to post WW2.
- An Archival Look at World War I Canadian Homefront ; the Technology of WWI ; Women during the First World War ; and World War I Warfare. A collection of archival photographs related to the Great War is accompanied by suggestions for teachers and explanatory historical notes.
- Arrow Recovery Canada A fascinating website filled with authentic Avro Arrow information.
- Association of Liberation Children An organization whose members have Allied soldiers as biological fathers. Its purpose is to support the members in their search for their their roots and assist veterans in locating friends in Holland.
- Battle of Vimy Ridge An introduction to the First World War Battle of Vimy Ridge, including
historical maps and a presentation of the Vimy Memorial.
- Black Watch of Canada The oldest Royal Highland Regiment in the Dominion and was the first of the Dominion battalions to become allied with their Parent regiment in Scotland.
- Books of Remembrance These books contain the names of Canadians who fought in wars and died during or after them.
- British Empire and Commonwealth Land Forces Internet resources pertaining to land forces that were at any time part of the British Empire or Commonwealth. The focus is generally on manifestations of the British regimental system throughout the world.
- Camp X Historical Society Established in recognition of the courageous men and women who were trained in subversive warfare and covert techniques, those who fought behind enemy lines, who lived in the shadows, or who served at Camp X.
- Canada and the First World War This exhibition is designed to illustrate the many roles that Canadian men and women played during the First World War, and the definite mark the war left on our society.
- Canada's Military Heritage Chronology of War, photos & facts, dispatches from the front, educational resources and operation legacy.
- Canadian Air Aces and Heroes of WWI, WWII, and Korea.
- Canadian Air Force Includes information on the history of the Canadian Air Force.
- Canadian Army Homepage Who we are, who we were, Battle Honours, 1st Canadian Div in WWII, Canadian Regts of WWII.
- Canadian Expeditionary Force Over 600,000 Canadians enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) during the First World War. The CEF database is a searchable index to those personnel files which are held by the National Archives.
- Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group We are a group of enthusiasts with an interest in the Canadian Expeditionary Force and their role in the First World War. The interests here are broad: Family History/Genealogy, Military History, Weapons/Equipment, Tactics, Militaria Collecting etc.
- Canadian Great War Project This site includes many other features,
including transcribed/searchable war diaries, letters from the front, book reviews, virtual monuments, forums, statistics and a links section.
- Canadian Heroes The exploits and accomplishments of two great Canadians who went to Europe to fight for what was to be the greatest challenges of their young lives.
- Canadian Heroes Stories include Major Harold John Lightfoot who was Commanding Officer of the West Nova Scotia Regiment in Camp Aldershot, NS and A Day in the Life of a Prisoner.
- Canadian Letters and Images Letters, photographs and other documents from men and women in the armed services and nursing services during wartime
- Canadian Military An un-official history of the Canadian military, from the 1800s to the present day.
- Canadian Military Heritage Project Providing historical backgrounds, chronological timelines, statistics, battles, uniforms & equipment, biographies of soldiers, heroes and their stories, muster rolls, letters home, links to other online resources, and research libraries.
- Canadian Military History Gateway Providing access to Websites and digitized resources about CanadaÂ?s military history.
- Canadian Navy Information on Maritime Forces Atlantic and Pacific, the Naval Reserve, background documents and fact sheets, newsletters, and photos.
- Canadian Navy of Yesterday & Today Information about the ships and aircraft of Canada's navy, from its inception in 1910 until present day, and links to similar sites.
- Canadian Peacekeeping Veterans Association Includes a Roll of Honour of Canadian Peacekeepers who gave their lives in the service of peace.
- Canadian Virtual War Memorial Search the database of over 110,000 Canadians and Newfoundlanders who made the ultimate sacrifice in World Wars One and Two. Also includes detailed information on Victoria Cross Recipients.
- Canadian War Brides The authoritative source of information on the Canadian War Brides of World War Two.
- Canadian War Brides Of The First World War A site created to promote and preserve the history of the WWI war brides who came to Canada after the war.
- Canadian War Industry During the Second World War Photographs documenting the role of Canadian civilians in the Second World War industrial effort.
- Canadian War Museum Remembering the more than 115,000 Canadians who have lost their lives during wartime. These Canadians were not all professional soldiers. The museum attempts to tell the story of ordinary Canadians living through extraordinary circumstances.
- Canadian Warplane Heritage Featuring the aircraft used by Canadians or Canada's Military from the beginning of World War II up to the present.
- Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum List of exhibits includes detailed information and pictures.
- Canadian Wartime Experience (University of Manitoba) Digitised pimary source materials relating to the experience of Canada and Canadians during various wars from 1899-1970s.
- CBC Archives: Conflict and War Explore a century of Canada's conflicts, wars and struggles through radio and television clips from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Chronology of Canadian Military History 55 short introductory articles to Canadian Military History
- D-Day (National Film Board of Canada) View five films produced by the National Film Board.
- Democracy at War: Canadian Newspapers and the Second World War The Canadian War Museum's newspaper archives contains more than 144 000
newspaper articles from the Second World War Period.
- Directorate of History and Heritage Our mission is to safeguard and propagate Canadian military history and heritage, managing the Canadian Forces-wide program to meet departmental needs, reinforce Canadian Forces identity, and provide meritorious service recognition.
- Filip Konowal A Ukrainian Canadian who was awarded the Victoria Cross while serving in the 47th Canadian Infantry Battalion in France during August 1917.
- For King and Empire Canada's soldiers in the Great War. Explores the Canadian soldier's role in the Great War. Included in the site is a interactive battle display and a comprehensive Resource Centre.
- French Soldiers - 1755 who came to Canada from 1755 to 1763 to fight in the French and Indian War.
- From Colony to Country: Guide to Canadian Military History To improve awareness of and access to the published literature on Canada's military history, the National Library has prepared this bibliographical pathfinder for the general reader with an interest in learning more about Canada's military heritage.
- Great War Research of George Laughton, M.C. Great War Research Site for George Van Wyck Laughton at Vimy Ridge, Battle of Arras, WW1.
- History and Heritage of Canada's Air Force The history of Canada's Air Force traces it beginnings to the very early days of World War I when the Canadian Aviation Corps was formed on September 16, 1914 and consisted of two officers and one mechanic.
- Home Page of Remembrance Includes Canadian Women Veterans Roll of Honour, Canadian Peacekeeping Roll of Honour, Governor General Foot Guards Roll of Honour, Canadian's Vietnam Roll of Honour.
- In Flanders Fields Timeline on the history of the First World War, and detailed information on life at and behind the front.
- Inside Camp-X Canada's on-line World WAR II intelligence history site. Dedicated to maintaining Canada's history and heritage forever.
- Interactive History of the Canadian Navy The highlights that have occurred over the years through an assortment of media in this interactive web site.
- Juno Beach Centre: Canada in WW II An online museum of the Canadian war effort.
- Key Events & Causes: War of 1812 Timeline of significant events during the war of 1812.
- Korea Veterans Association of Canada Dedicated to the 516 Canadians who made the supreme sacrifice during the Korean War and to honour those who dared to die, but lived. List of award recipients, Wall of Remembrance, Honour Roll, links to related sites.
- Land Forces of Britain, the Empire and Commonwealth Links to internet resources pertaining to land forces that were at any time part of the British Empire or Commonwealth.
- Lest We forget Canada,World War II,World War I,Service Records,War Memorials and more
- Letters from the Great War Letters home from John Cannon Stothers in World War 1, 1916-1919. War Diaries of the 11th & 12th Canadian Machine Gun Company at Passchendaele.
- Library and Archives Canada: War and Military A selection of Library and Archives Canada resources on the Canadian military and war experiences.
- Museum of the Regiments The history of the Canadian military and links to related sites.
- National Film Board of Canada - WW1 A collection of films outlining Canada's participation in World War One.
- Peacekeeper's Home Page Created by a Canadian peacekeeping veteran in dedication to all Canadian peacekeepers.
- Pinetree Line Dedicated to the many thousands of men and women who spent a part of their life at the radar stations strategically located to counter air threats against North America, known as the Pinetree Line.
- Princess Patricias Canadian Light Infantry The PPCLI, formed in 1914, is one of the three regular force Canadian Infantry Regiments. The information in this site is intended to provide you with a better understanding of the Regiment, the many roles over the years, and a storied history.
- Project Roots Locating the Canadian fathers of British and European War Children who were born to single, unwed mothers in the aftermath of World War Two.
- Queen's Own Rifles of Canada Canada's oldest continuing infantry regiment, The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada was formed on April 26, 1860. Originally the Regiment's name was the Second Battalion, Volunteer Militia Rifles of Canada.
- Queen's York Rangers Information on the 1st American Regiment of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps and Canadian military links.
- RCAF 434 Squadron This site contains many photos of aircraft, daily life at the airfields, and documents, along with the history of 434 Squadron. More importantly a collection of Aircrew photos, 1374 airmen volunteered for this squadron, tragically 347 made the ultimate sa
- RCMP Historical Highlights A brief outline of significant dates in the history of the RCMP from the 1800's to today.
- Remembrance Day Come and meet a young man who didn't say no when his country called. He is only one of millions who gave their lives in a fight against tyranny. Photographs of the first world war with a Canadian slant.
- Researching Canadian Soldiers of the First World War A brief introduction to researching Canadian soldiers of the First World War. It is intended to merely introduce the topic, as a comprehensive treatment would cover many pages and be overwhelming for any new researcher in this subject area.
- Royal Canadian Air Force Memorial Museum Museum information, aircraft, donors wall, memorials.
- Russians & Ukrainians in the C.E.F. 1914-1919 Since 2003, research has been undertaken and continues about thousands of men from Ukrainian and other regions of Imperial Russia who enlisted in Canada. Contact with and interviews of descendants of these veterans is needed for a forthcoming book.
- Seven Years War Website Articles, uniform and service charts for regiments, and replicas covering this period of conflict.
- Songs Popular during the First World War Hear sound clips of soungs such as Pack Up Your Troubles and It's a Long Way to Tipperary.
- The Hins' World War II Collection The Canadian Army in The Netherlands during the liberation in 1945.
- The Memory Project A campaign to support the efforts of Canadian veterans to share their experiences. The Veterans Archives contains stories about Canadians whose lives were touched by war.
- The Queen's/King's Medal Listing of Canadian recipients of this medal which was awarded to the Champion Shot of the Military Forces of the United Kingdom.
- The Royal Canadian Regiment and The First World War - 1914-1919 These pages present elements of the story of The RCR in the Great War through a new presentation of existing documents combining the unit's War Diary and existing information on the officers and on the NCOs and soldiers of the Regiment.
- The War of 1812 Produced as a companion to the four part documentary film production on the 1812 conflict this site is intended for anybody interested in this fascinating period of North American history.
- The War of 1812 (LearnAlberta) A visual timeline of events.
- Tribute to the Merchant Seamen of World War II A tribute to all the members of the Allied Merchant Navy who served around the world during World War II.
- Unofficial Homepage of 439 Tiger Squadron Comprehensive and historically accurate accounting of a Canadian Air Force Squadron with over 550 pages of rare vintage photos and 5000 words of text.
- Unofficial Homepage of the RCAF 424 Squadron This site contains information on the R.C.A.F. 424 Squadron. There is a memorial to the crew of the Halifax MKIII LV879.
- Veterans Affairs Canada Recognizing and honouring the sacrifices of Canada's veterans and all Canadian citizens during war. Canadian Military Medals and Decorations, Mission and Mandate, The Carillon newsletter and Commerations.
- Victoria Cross Reference Includes details on the 91 Canadian recipients.
- War Brides Searchable database of Second World War British and European War Brides sailing from British ports to Canada and United States
- War Brides in Canada Eswyn Lyster is writing a detailed history of Canadian War Brides. Any information you could contribute would be greatly appreciated. Includes a lost and found message board, photo album, and links to related sites.
- War Diaries of the First World War Digitized War Diaries of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) units.
- War Memorials The pages linked here honour those who sacrificed their lives serving their countries and humanity during war and in peace - especially in peacekeeping. It is intended to be a place to honour the memories, the sacrifices, and the loss.
- War of 1812 Muster Rolls First Muster Roll, Corps of Canadian Volunteers. 18 July 1813 - 31 August 1813.
- War of 1812 Website Articles, quality book reviews and offers, extensive links, and the largest collection of War of 1812 images on the internet.
- War of 1812-1814 The soldiers, weapons of the War, United Empire Loyalists, battles from the War of 1812, women during the War, and links to other War of 1812 sites.
- World War One - Josiah Chancellor Kennedy The story of Josiah Alexander Chancellor Kennedy who enlisted in the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, moved to the Royal Irish Rifles, then served out the remainder of WWI in a German POW camp.
Organizations and Societies
- Adoptee's Support Forum Reuniting Canadians from coast to coast. Registration to the Canada-Wide National Registry, Family Finders Search Assistance, and the Family Finder News.
- Association for Canadian Jewish Studies Information about this society.
- Canada / Ulster Heritage Site Historical information about the Orange Order in Canada and the impact that the Order, Irish immigrants and their decendants had upon the formation of the Dominion of Canada.
- Canada's National History Society Information about the Society.
- Canadian Club Dedicated to promoting Canadian identity, encouraging Canadian unity, and fostering an interest in public affairs and Canadian institutions.
- Canadian Orange Historical Site The earliest record of an Orange Lodge in the British North American colonies was in New Brunswick in 1783 a full twelve years before the official birth of the Orange Lodge system. Historical stories of interest.
- Canadian Society of Mayflower Descendants History of the Canadian society, research tips, links to related sites.
- Famous 5 Foundation This foundation has commissioned monuments to recognize the achievements and contributions of Canadian women in the building of Canada.
- Famous Five Foundation The Famous 5 Foundation educates and inspires fellow Canadians by celebrating women's achievements, commemorating the Famous 5's courage, tenacity and conviction and encouraging women's leadership.
- Heritage Canada Foundation Founded in 1973 to protect and promote this country's built, natural, historic and scenic heritage.
- Monarchist League of Canada Informing the Canadian public of the contemporary and historical importance of the Monarchy for the Canadian identity.
- Society Hill - Canadian Directory The Internet Directory of Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- Ukranian Genealogical and Historical Society of Canada Contact information.
- Doukhobor Passenger Lists Arrivals since 1898.
- Doukhobor Ship Passenger Lists With few exceptions, the Doukhobors arrived in Canada in four distinct waves in: 1898 to 1899; 1904 to 1905; 1910 to 1912; and 1926 to 1928.
- Montcalm Passenger List, July 16, 1936 This Canadian Pacific steamship was one of several that took part in a 1936 pilgrimage to Vimy and other European battlefields. Most people on board were Great War veterans, their families, and dignitaries.
- Ship's Passenger Lists and Indexes An introduction to some of the resources available for genealogists, family historians, and geographers with a Canadian focus.
- The Ships List Established to assist those seeking information on the vessels which brought their ancestors to their new home.
Photographs and Images
- 1918 Census of Independent Doukhobors A book by Jonathan Kalmakoff. This census index provides family historians and genealogists with an indispensable guide to Independent Doukhobors living in Western Canada during the First World War.
- Archive CD Books Project exists to make reproductions of old books, documents and maps available on CD and to cooperate with local libraries, museums and record offices in providing money to renovate old books.
- Canada's Information Resource Centre Includes the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail on-line historical newspaper archive. Fully digitized and searchable on-line databases. Fee for access.
- Canadian Geographic Since 1930, Canadian Geographic has been making Canada better known to Canadians and to the world. Includes historical articles.
- Donegal author Information about the author, images of Donegal, book extracts, history, Canada Connections and poetry.
- Doukhobor Ship Passenger Lists, 1898-1928 A book by Steve Lapshinoff and Jonathan Kalmakoff. Doukhobor Ship Passenger Lists provides family historians and genealogists with an indispensable guide to
Doukhobors passengers who came to Canada from Russia between 1898 and 1928.
- Eugene G. Ursual, Military Antiquarian Inc. Publications include British & Canadian Campaign groups, Medals for Gallantry and Distinguished Service, Medals & Decorations of the World.
- Family History News Trace your Canadian ancestry with Family History News, the newsletter for Genealogical and Historical Researchers by Parr's Publishing.
- Global Genealogy Supply Genealogy and history books, maps, software, archival supplies, Ontario Archives research services, hints and lists, books on CD ROM, and biggest collection of Canadian genealogical materials on the net.
- Homestead Maps Full size or smaller County Map reproductions showing actual home locations identified by family name. In regular size print or Large Print for easy viewing. Available for most of the Maritimes, Ontario, parts of Quebec, New England and the West.
- Neither Waif Nor Stray Information on Canada's Invisible Imigrants, the 100,000 British Waifs and Strays who were sent to Canada from 1880-1930. Available as hardcopy or PDF file. Download a sample 25 pages for no charge.
- Our Canadian Girl Follow the adventures of Our Canadian Girls with this series of historical fiction, they prove once and for all that Canadian history isn't boring.
- Paper of Record Searchable newspaper archive. Allows users to view digital copies of North American newspapers, dating back to the 1700's. A wide selection of North American historical newspapers are available.
- Paul J. Bunnell, FACG, UE, Genealogy & Book Author Loyalist books and relates services.
- The Beaver: Exploring Canada's History The Beaver magazine was established in 1920 by Hudson's Bay Company. In the mid-1980s the focus of the magazine was changed. The Beaver's new thrust is that of Exploring Canada's History.
- Traces Publications for Family Historians Since 1986, Traces has produced a variety of Canadian publications, largely relating to Alberta & Ontario but also a couple of books with Canadian immigration references.
- Valour in the Victory Campaign This book contains a complete record of all gallantry decorations awarded to men of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division in the campaign in Northwest Europe in 1945.
- Canada, by Train A short history of railways in Canada, a collection of railway advertising, and the contribution of railways to the growth of Canada.
- Canadian Railroad Historical Association Information concerning railway heritage in Canada and archival material which depict the historical or technological development of Canada's railways. Canadian Railway Museum and Archives.
- Dates in Canadian Railway History Starting in 1720 when a short tramway is believed to have been built in connection with the construction of the fortress at Louisburg, Nova Scotia.
- Railways of Canada Archives Railway histories, pictorial account of locomotives and stations, yard and track maps.
- Trains Canada Provides information on railways and railway-related subjects everywhere in Canada. Links to many historical railways.
- Canadian Mormon Genealogy and Ancestry Information on Canadian Genealogy and ancestry. Learn about your Canadian Mormon Heritage.
- Doukhobor Collection, 1898-1930 - SFU Over 120 primary source items dating from 1898 to 1930. The items in the collection largely deal with the settlement of the Doukhobors in late 19th - early 20th century Canada.
- Doukhobor Genealogy This site is dedicated to the reclamation, discovery, collection, preservation and free sharing of information related to Doukhobor family history.
- Local Catholic Church History and Genealogy Research Guide Guide to researching Catholic Church history and ancestors worldwide, includes links to Archdioceses, Dioceses, Churches and helpful historical genealogy research links.
- Presbyterian Church in Canada Archives The Archives documents the history of The Presbyterian Church in Canada by acquiring, preserving, and making available for research, significant records generated by the church, its officials, ministers, congregations, and organizations.
- Tunkers in Canada Historical sketch of the Brethern in Christ Church known as Tunkers in Canada, by George Cober, Gormley, ON.
- Advance Genealogy Systems Features Canadian and Saskatchewan genealogical indexes and extracts, as well as The Master Genealogist from Wholly Genes.
- Canadian Heritage Gallery View pictures of people in Canadian history, historic photos, artwork and documents. Items are also available for purchase.
- Coats of Arms from Pewter Plaques Pewter Plaques offers beautiful coats of arms for many countries and provinces, including Canada, Northwest Territories, Ontario and Quebec. Made in Canada.
- Gen-Find Research Associates Professional genealogical research, consulting & charting services specializing in Western Canada, Ontario, Scotland, Ireland, England.
- Genealogy Research By Hank Krastman, Ph.D. I do very reasonable genealogy for others.
- Heritage Publications A series of easy-to-read books on various genealogical topics and ten tips to help you successfully find your ancestors
- Interlink Bookshop Western Canada's only genealogical specialty store, with a full range of books and microfiche.
- Mondex Corporation, International Genealogists Assists with genealogical research in Canada, the US, Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia. Based in Canada, Mondex is able to offer valuable information to persons seeking family history data, who may not normally be able to access such data.
- Penguin Books Canada Publishes award-winning Canadian fiction and non-fiction for adults and children and distributes bestsellers from around the world. hey have a great selection of books on History - both factual and fictional.
- Quintin Publications Carries a full line of historical and genealogical books, videos, CD-ROMs and maps as well as being the largest American publisher of Canadian oriented historical and genealogical books and CD-ROMs.
- The Genealogical Research Library, Inc. Genealogy Supplies, Genealogy Indexes, Family Tree Programs, Maps, Medical Research, Relationship Chart.
- Canada Science and Technology Museum The images of Canada gallery include agriculture, aviation, railways, marine services, natural resources and people.
- Canada Wide Health and Medical Archives Information Network Designed to help anyone with a research enquiry, whether academic, personal or geneological. We're also available to assist records custodians and curators, both volunteer and professional.
- Discovery of Insulin The history behind one of the most important medical discoveries of our time. The team consisting of Dr. F.G. Banting, Mr. C.H. Best, Mr. C.B. Collip and Prof. J.J.R. MacLeod discovered insulin in 1921.
- Books We Own - Canada A list of resources owned/accessed by ROOTS-L mailing list members and others who are willing to look up information and e-mail or snail mail it to others who ask for the info.
- CousinConnect.com - Canadian Queries A database of genealogy queries. Anyone can post their queries relating to Canadian research.
- Genealogy Helplist Canada Genealogy Helplist Canada is a list of volunteers willing to help by looking up specific information related to genealogy in Canada using reference materials at institutions near them, or otherwise easily accessible to them.
- Origin & Meaning of Doukhobor Surnames This encycopedic glossary contains roots and meanings of over 525 Russian Doukhobor surnames together with over 2,600 English spelling variations.
- The Family Tree Project a site that continues to build a family tree and is not Surname specific. You can submit names and information to be posted. There are forums to use and family histories to read up on.
United Empire Loyalist